Sunday, August 3, 2008

Diaper Soaker Class

I took a diaper soaker class on Monday. The day before Baby Gabe was born.

So, I had lots of time to work on it while waiting for him to be born.




This is the Work In Progress. The next class is tomorrow, Monday, night at Nancy's Quilt Shop.

It is made out of 100% Peruvian Highland Wool (whatever that means) by Cascade Called "220" because it's 220 yds. I was planning on Kool-aid dying it, but it is realy pretty in white, too.
I think I'll let Jasmine decide.
I love working with the wool! I've only knitted with cotton, acrylic, and a wool/silk blend (but that feels closer to silk than wool) before now. I really like the feel of it and how easy it is to stitch!

You can see in this photo (I hope) that I am knitting this on a circular needle in what is called the 'magic loop' method. It's where you use a very long cable needles (this one is 40") and pull out two loops so that it allows the project circumference to be smaller (pretty much any size!). This has been easier that I thought! Although, you do have to do a Ketchner stitch to close up the crotch. This pattern is based on the Curly Purly pattern by Marnie Ann Joyce, but edited by my knitting instructor, Barbara Tolleson, for Magic Loop.

P.S. Soakers are pants used on the outside of cloth diapers. They repel moisture (that is why fishermen wore wool) and still allow the baby's skin to breathe. Nope. They don't have to be felted to do this either. Although 'lanolizing', to replace the lanolin helps even more.

No comments: